Saturday, August 13th, 2022 | 8:00am - 10:30am
Where We Will Meet
Picnic tables on the east side of the Cove, near Bridge club
Where The Walk Will End
Lunch at 11am @ Jose's Courtroom, local since 1956!
About This Walk
Join us for a relaxing and picturesque walk along the La Jolla shoreline. We’ll start at the Cove and make our way down to Children’s pool. Then, the plan is to explore some of the beach/tidal pool areas before finishing up with some street shooting in La Jolla on our way to lunch.
My name is Kevin La Rue and I’m just your average enthusiast photographer. My “day job” since 2006 has been working with a couple of imaging software companies, Nik Software and Macphun/Skylum Software which has been really fun. I’ve chosen this location and route in honor of my late friend Bob Halligan who used to lead these walks several years back.
Tips: comfy shoes and layered clothes – it can be a little cool in the morning, then heat up a bit mid-day. Might want to bring a couple of types of lenses and even a tripod if you want to do some long exposures! Again, there IS some walking going on here, so make sure you’re rolling as light as possible with comfortable shoes. 😉
Last Day to Submit Contest PhotosAugust 26th, 2022
Hi everyone – hope you’ve had a good week! Just a reminder, TODAY is the last day to submit your photos for our “Incredible La Jolla Shoreline” photo contest. We’ll pick a winner in the next week.
Here are the instructions below. Best of luck! Kevin
How Do I Submit My Photo?
• Edit your favorite photo, making sure the final file size is less than 5MB.
• Login to your account at worldwidephotowalk.com.
• Navigate to Your Walk found in the top navigation bar.
• Scroll down and click on the Contest tab found under the map.
• Use the form provided to upload your photo submission.
• Visit the Gallery page to view other walker’s submissions.
Thanks for Joining the Walk (and Gallery)August 14th, 2022
Hi everyone – hope you all had a great time at the Photo Walk yesterday! I have to confess, I was pretty knackered with the heat, but it was all worth it. 😉
I also hope that you got to meet some new people, swap some stories, and take a few photos you’ll be proud of. Thanks also to the folks who joined Kim and I at Jose’s Courtroom restaurant – the outdoor seating was surprisingly cool with a light breeze and we had a special treat when Bob Halligan’s wife Kathy joined us for lunch!
For grins and giggles, I created a shareable folder on SmugMug where we can upload some photos and look at some that other people took. I uploaded our Group photo in there too. 😉
Upload here: https://klarue.smugmug.com/upload/2ZPt7H/kelby22
Go straight to the gallery here: https://klarue.smugmug.com/Events/2022-Kelby-Photo-Walk-LJ-Cove/Fun-Photos-2-Share/n-ntZjQb
That’s all for now. Again, many thanks for attending the 2022 Kelby Photo Walk and I hope to see y’all next year!
All the best and cheers,
See You Tomorrow!August 12th, 2022
Hi everyone – thanks again for signing up to the Photo Walk. I’m looking forward to meeting you tomorrow morning at 8am sharp. A few last minute thoughts/reminders/notes:
1. Location address: I was asked today for an address you can put into your GPS or car navigation. Here you go: 1160 Coast Blvd, La Jolla, CA 92037 That’s the LJ Bridge Club which has been there since 1932. It’s about 10 yards from where we’re meeting.
2. Weather: Looking good. Showing between 70 – 77 from 8am to 11am respectively. Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. The low tide that day will be at 5am and the high tide will be at 11:20.
3. Parking: I can’t stress this enough! Leave plenty of time to find parking for yourself. You may not be able to park along Coast Blvd. If that’s the case, you might try parking up in the La Jolla village and walk down to meet us. You’ll be closer to our ending point at the restaurant anyway. 😉
4. Group photo: It’s tradition to take a group photo, so we’ll do that at the beginning ~ 8:15am.
5. “Lightness of Being” reminder: It’s about 1/2 mile from the Cove to Children’s pool, another 1/2 mile to the Tidal Pools, and then 3/4 mile to Jose’s Courtroom restaurant. My advice it to wear comfy walking shoes, and pack fairly light. For instance, you may not need that mega-beefy tripod or 16 lenses, but it’s entirely up to you! YMMV. 🙂
6. Snacks/water: I believe there are a couple of drinking fountains along the way and, last weekend, there was a coffee truck selling “cold brew” coffees for $5/cup by Children’s Pool. There was another coffee/muffins truck closer to the Cove as well.
If you have any last-minute questions, please text me at 858-337-7277 or email me at email@example.com. I’ll be sure to check email when I get up.
Have a great night! Kevin
1 week to go!August 8th, 2022
Hi fellow photowalkers! We’re less than a week to go before meeting together at beautiful La Jolla Cove for our walk. I visited the Cove this weekend at exactly the same time as we’ll be meeting, and have a few notes for you to consider:
1. Arrive early for parking – it’s still summer tourist season, with nice weather, and there are a LOT of activities going on in the immediate vicinity. I saw swimmers, divers, families, yoga classes and a lot of street vendors, and they all need parking. Plan ahead!
2. There seemed to be a lot of sand on any steps leading down to the beach areas, so wear good shoes that are also comfortable. For those that want to shoot on the beach, there is the Cove area, a nice spot in the middle with some good wall structure, an area to the south of Children’s Pool, and of course the Tide Pools further south.
3. MEETING PLACE: At the Cove, near the cool rock tunnel where a lot of seals are hanging out right now, there is a Lifeguard station. To the left of that, there are a couple of picnic tables that face Scripps Pier and La Jolla Shores beach. Let’s meet there – I’ll be wearing a “lime green” Kelby photowalk shirt – you can’t miss me! 😉
4. Weather-wise, it was already warm at 8am this past Saturday, but it’s showing a high of 78 and low of 67 on the 13th. Unless you run super-cool, you probably won’t need a jacket – maybe a lightweight long-sleeve shirt you can stuff into your backpack once we get going.
5. Tides – The low tide that day will be at 5am and the high tide will be at 11:20. So, we should be right in the middle, which should make for decent rock and tidal pool shots!
6. Don’t forget to donate to the Springs of Hope Kenya Orphanage if you can. It’s a worthy cause!
7. Lens choices are entirely up to you. I took a wide angle last Saturday and my wife took her big zoom. She had a lot of fun photographing the seal faces and birds. There are loads of scenery to capture as well as great textured elements. The vendors and our ending path through the village of La Jolla should give you some decent people and street shooting as well. This place, literally, has it all! My advice is to travel as LIGHT as possible.
If you have any questions at all for me, please share them in the discussion or you can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheers and see you in a few days! Kevin
Welcome everyone!July 29th, 2022
Hi Everyone – Kevin here (walk leader). It’s great to see so many walkers signing up – this will be a really fun time! Whether you shoot seascapes, people, street, architecture… this one has it all.
I was down at the Cove this weekend and it was beautiful – it’s good for us to start a bit early! More info as we get closer to the day.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Kevin La Rue Hi Everyone - Kevin here (walk leader). It's great to see so many walkers signing up - this will be a really fun time! Whether you shoot seascapes, people, architecture... this one has it all. I was down at the Cove this weekend and it was beautiful (and crowded) - it's good for us to start a bit early! More info as we get closer to the day - I'll also be sure to check the tide tables in case y'all want to visit the tide pools. Cheers, Kevin