Saturday, October 6th, 2018 | 10:00am - 2:00pm
Where We Will Meet
Meeting at the front gate entrance to Green-Wood
Where The Walk Will End
We will leave Green-Wood thru a back entrance
About This Walk
Historic Green-Wood Cemetery, final resting place of oh-so-many famous people. And a photographer’s paradise. Bring your walking shoes because we’re going to walk from one end of the cemetery to the other. In the process, we’ll see many historic and beautiful tombs, monuments and mausoleums. On the other end we’ll grab a bite at some local food place.
What a great photo walk in the cemeteryOctober 9th, 2018
It was wonderful for me to meet you all this past Saturday for the photo walk. The weather held up, for the most part, and we had a decent turnout.
First things first: The contest is now open. Please upload your one image to the photo walk page ( https://worldwidephotowalk.com/walk/historic-green-wood-cemetery/ ) under the tab that says “contest.” I’m not sure what the deadline is but it’s usually a week. Just upload as soon as you can.
Next is I created a Flickr group just for our photo walk. If you want to share pix that you took on Saturday with the rest of the group, please upload some there. Here’s the group page: https://www.flickr.com/groups/wwpw2018greenwood/ Please limit your uploads to only images you shot during the photo walk.
Finally, if there is any interest with those folks who could not come to the walk on Saturday to come to Green-Wood on a future weekend in the fall to have another photo walk, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll see if I can organize another group walk for a weekend morning or something.
Anyway, I can’t wait to see what you’ve all shot this past weekend.
Thanks again for attending!
Tomorrow’s the Green-Wood photo walk day!October 5th, 2018
Hi Photo Walkers,
Sorry for the lack of updates but it’s been a crazy time for me.
Tomorrow is the walk and it looks like we’re going to have a decent day. Might be a little chill in the air. Perfect for walking the cemetery.
Remember, we are meeting at the street entrance (not the gothic gate inside) to Green-Wood Cemetery at 10 am, which is on 5th Avenue and 25th Street in Brooklyn. There are a few other entrances to Green-Wood and if you find yourself at one of those, you’re at the wrong entrance. My intention is to walk us through the cemetery to the Ft. Hamilton entrance and then head to eat someplace on Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, east of the cemetery. The reason I want to walk thru the entire cemetery is that there are great photo opportunities at both the main entrance and the Ft. Hamilton entrance. This does mean it’ll be a long walk, though I’ll pick the most direct route. We should be done by 1:30-2pm.
Those of you who are driving and parking near the main entrance are going to have some decisions to make. The walk back from Ft. Hamilton thru the streets is long. You could retrace your step thru the cemetery back to where we started if you want and decide not to grab an after-walk bite. That’s fine and understandable. If you took the train to get to Green-Wood, there is a train stop at Ft. Hamilton for the F and G trains. There are also buses on McDonald Avenue headed back into parts of Brooklyn.
Tips for the walk:
• Wear comfortable shoes, maybe even hiking shoes. There are paved roads in Green-Wood, but you are allowed to walk wherever you want and it’s very hilly there. Ibuprofen might help too 😉 .
• Bring water. There are no water fountains in the middle of the cemetery, only at the entrance and exit. No food is allowed in the cemetery, though I don’t think anyone is going to bust your chops if you bring snacks. Just be discreet about it.
• Bathrooms are located also at the entrances. There are no facilities in the cemetery. There *may* be a portable bathroom or two scattered along our path, but don’t count on it.
• Bring extra batteries and format those cards. If you haven’t been there before, you WILL be taking a lot of photos.
• NO TRIPODS/MONOPODS/DRONES. PERIOD. Otherwise, they will think we are commercial photographers. Plan to shoot handheld.
• No standing on roofs of tombs, vaults, etc. You may walk up their stairs and look into them, just no climbing on them (had a student do that once. Not cool).
• Remember there is a contest associated with the walk and I get to judge the photos (and I can be bribed 😉 Plan to submit your one photo, I think within a week.
• Load Google Maps on your phone. It’s got the best map of Green-Wood available. You can also get paper maps at the entrance.
I’m going to try to keep a steady pace as it’s a long walk and I want to get to the other side in enough time to have a bite at the end of the walk. If you don’t want to join for food afterward, that is fine.
Oh, also, I may be doing some audio recording for my photography podcast, “Street Shots,” while we’re walking. I may want to ask some of you some questions about photography. If you don’t want to be recorded, that’s fine. Just let me know at the beginning of the walk.
We’re going to have a great time. If you’ve never been there before, you’re going to love it.
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow morning.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.