Saturday, August 13th, 2022 | 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Where We Will Meet
In front of the Duncan City Hall on Craig street
Where The Walk Will End
Tin Cup Espresso Bar, Duncan BC
About This Walk
My name is Barry and I am a professional photographer. I recently moved to the Island from the mainland and I am excited to run my first Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk here in Duncan.
We will start at the city hall building in Craig Street and wander through the streets, alleyways and buildings. The types of images you will be able to shoot will be urban abstracts, architectural, textural and even some street photography. We will start off in a group, but we don’t have to walk completely as a group the whole time. When we do split up, its a good idea to make sure you can see one other photographer at all times, but you can walk in any direction you choose and photograph anything that catches your eye, there is no particular theme for this photowalk, so it is really up to your imagination.
If that sounds appealing to you, then sign up and join me for this wonderful photographic event. This will be the 12th Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk that I have led and I am excited to be able to lead it here on Vancouver Island.
Some quick tips for Photowalks:
- Wear comfortable shoes – you will be walking for two hours and good comfortable footwear will help you enjoy the photowalk as much as possible.
- Wear appropriate layers – I am anticipating that it will be a warm day, but if it seems to be cooler on the day, bring a light layer or two to make sure you don’t get cold.
- Travel light – My recommendation is bring one camera body and one zoom lens. A good zoom lens with a bit of range will be easy to carry and will not feel heavy by the end of the photowalk. A 24-70mm will be good and if you have an 18-135mm that will be great too.
- Any camera will do – You don’t need a DSLR or a special camera to join. You can even use your smartphone, there is no limit here. If you have a device that can take photos, you can join us!
- Walk with another photographer – we may not stay as a group for the whole walk, so be sure to walk with another photographer or stay within sight of one another. Generally, we will be in safe areas, but its always good to have someone with you, especially as we will be focused (excuse the pun) on getting some great photos…which can mean we are not always paying attention to our surroundings!
- Scan and shoot – A little trick I use on photowalks is to scan all over, near and far, look for interesting textures, surfaces, colours and see how the interplay between them looks. Try and shoot all sorts of things, you never know what might work, so be open to experiment and try some new ways of shooting things, it might work out better than you think.
- Have Fun – Photography is fun and getting out with other photographers is even more fun, so let’s enjoy the time, and enjoy the process of creating images of Duncan.
After we have been going for two hours, we will meet up at Tin Cup Espresso bar and grab a coffee and compare notes and photos and chat about photography. It will be a time to see what images other photographers got and to get to know each other better.
So thats it, in a nutshell. I am looking forward to a fun time with you and looking forward to creating some great images too!
Looking forward to seeing you on the day!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.