Saturday, August 13th, 2022 | 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Where We Will Meet
In front of the Duncan City Hall on Craig street
Where The Walk Will End
Tin Cup Espresso Bar, Duncan BC
About This Walk
My name is Barry and I am a professional photographer. I recently moved to the Island from the mainland and I am excited to run my first Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk here in Duncan.
We will start at the city hall building in Craig Street and wander through the streets, alleyways and buildings. The types of images you will be able to shoot will be urban abstracts, architectural, textural and even some street photography. We will start off in a group, but we don’t have to walk completely as a group the whole time. When we do split up, its a good idea to make sure you can see one other photographer at all times, but you can walk in any direction you choose and photograph anything that catches your eye, there is no particular theme for this photowalk, so it is really up to your imagination.
If that sounds appealing to you, then sign up and join me for this wonderful photographic event. This will be the 12th Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk that I have led and I am excited to be able to lead it here on Vancouver Island.
Some quick tips for Photowalks:
- Wear comfortable shoes – you will be walking for two hours and good comfortable footwear will help you enjoy the photowalk as much as possible.
- Wear appropriate layers – I am anticipating that it will be a warm day, but if it seems to be cooler on the day, bring a light layer or two to make sure you don’t get cold.
- Travel light – My recommendation is bring one camera body and one zoom lens. A good zoom lens with a bit of range will be easy to carry and will not feel heavy by the end of the photowalk. A 24-70mm will be good and if you have an 18-135mm that will be great too.
- Any camera will do – You don’t need a DSLR or a special camera to join. You can even use your smartphone, there is no limit here. If you have a device that can take photos, you can join us!
- Walk with another photographer – we may not stay as a group for the whole walk, so be sure to walk with another photographer or stay within sight of one another. Generally, we will be in safe areas, but its always good to have someone with you, especially as we will be focused (excuse the pun) on getting some great photos…which can mean we are not always paying attention to our surroundings!
- Scan and shoot – A little trick I use on photowalks is to scan all over, near and far, look for interesting textures, surfaces, colours and see how the interplay between them looks. Try and shoot all sorts of things, you never know what might work, so be open to experiment and try some new ways of shooting things, it might work out better than you think.
- Have Fun – Photography is fun and getting out with other photographers is even more fun, so let’s enjoy the time, and enjoy the process of creating images of Duncan.
After we have been going for two hours, we will meet up at Tin Cup Espresso bar and grab a coffee and compare notes and photos and chat about photography. It will be a time to see what images other photographers got and to get to know each other better.
So thats it, in a nutshell. I am looking forward to a fun time with you and looking forward to creating some great images too!
Looking forward to seeing you on the day!
Barry J Brady Hi Everybody I hope your camera batteries are charged, your memory cards are cleared and you are ready for some photography tomorrow. Some quick housekeeping: 1. Please try your best to be on time, we will wait maybe 5 minutes for everyone to arrive, but will leave shortly after 2pm, so please try and be there on time. 2. Once again, it looks like it will be a nice warm day, so be sure to dress appropriately, make sure that you have some water with you too, just in case 3. Wear comfy shoes...important 4. Carry light, dont bring a big camera bag with all your lenses in it, bring your camera and maybe a good zoom lens...that will probably work perfectly. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow at 2pm! Until then Barry
Barry J Brady Hi Everyone. Thanks so much for coming out today, it was great to meet you all and walk around and photograph with you. As discussed, I have started a Meetup Photography Group, it is called Vancouver Island Photography Group, here is a link: https://www.meetup.com/vancouver-island-photography-group/ You will need to sign up to become a member of Meetup, but it is free. Also, for those of you who are interested, here is a link to the Aircraft documentary in Namibia I was chatting about. The footage of Namibia is amazing, hopefully I will do a photo trip there at some point...enjoy! https://vimeo.com/135640940 Enjoy Barry
Diane Spaidal Thanks for a great walk Barry!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Barry J Brady Hello Photowalkers I hope you have a great week and are getting ready for the Photowalk on Saturday. The weather forecast looks good, it will be pretty warm, so remember to bring a water bottle if you need to. I am looking forward to having a great time on Saturday and getting some wonderful photos with you. I will be at the starting point a little before 2pm, and I look forward to meeting you then If you have any questions, just let me know See you on Saturday Barry