Below are all walker photos that have been uploaded and entered in the 2014 Photo Walk photo contest.
Mark Dodge Medlin
Sally Ann Field
Meet Time: 03:00pm - 06:00pm
Photo Walk Description
HOLLYWOOOOOOOD! Are you kidding me? I get to lead this group on world famous Hollywood Boulevard? The photo gods must be smiling!
Here’s your chance to check out what’s happening on one of the most well-known streets in the world. I’m talkin historic movie and stage theaters, dive bars and clubs, famous restaurants, a luxury hotel or two and the Pièce de Résistance—The Chinese Theater!
We’ll start right in front of the trendy new W Hollywood Hotel and Hollywood/Vine Red Line Station. If you want, forget the car and take the metro right to our starting place, which just happens to be the gateway of the Hollywood Boulevard Walk of Fame.
From there we’ll walk West taking in all the sights and the wide variety of people who walk the Boulevard. It’s quite a melting pot. We’ll cross Hollywood Boulevard at Orange Drive which puts us right in front of Madame Tussauds and the Hollywood & Highland Center which houses the Dolby Theater and more than 875 shops and restaurants.
Buy a souvenir, get a Hollywood sign Tshirt, eat a snack and keep on shooting! Costumed characters will be posing for tips, fans will be putting their feet in the footprints of famous people at the Chinese Theater, and the photo opportunities will be endless. Which is why we will start our photo walk in the afternoon when the crowds will be the biggest!
After all that hullabaloo we’ll walk back East towards our meeting place (about 11 blocks if you’re keeping count) shooting all the way. We’ll check out the street performers and musicians, see the iconic Capitol Records building peeking over the rooftops, take in the Frederick’s of Hollywood mannequins modeling lingerie, encounter legendary dive bars like The Frolic Room (4 star rating on yelp!) and most of all, the people. More interesting people per square block or your money back!
We’ll work our way back to Cahuenga Boulevard where we’ll make a quick left to Sharky’s Woodfired Mexican Grill, have a healthy meal and congratulate ourselves on our amazing shots!
That’s it in the nutshell. So get ready ’cause it’s gonna be nothing but fun! Take the afternoon off and walk Hollywood Boulevard with me.
1. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. I’ll be wearing my usual zinc oxide with SPF 3000.
2. Hat for the sun
4. Comfortable shoes
5. Dress down with plain clothes. It really helps in getting candid shots. And try not to look like a photographer for The National Geographic or TMZ. Unless of course you are one.
6. Leave your expensive watches and jewelry at home. Wear the old Casio and the cubic zirconia if you must.
In The Gear Bag
1. Business cards
2. Pen and folded up piece of paper
3. Antiseptic wipes to use after eating
4. Extra camera batteries
5. Extra formatted memory cards
6. Bring one or more lenses that can cover a shot in front of you and half a block down or across the street. Or just bring your iPhone. It’s all good. I like to pack light so I’ll be shooting with a 28mm-300mm lens. That’s it!
I’ll update the info here as we get closer to the walk date. So stay tuned!